Monday, June 23, 2014

Better than Panera Cinnamon Rolls

What a weekend it has been.  Saturday, I woke up early with a terrible migraine. Which meant the rest of the day was doomed for. After a morning of napping, I finally decided it was time to get ready, hoping a shower would make me feel better. But, once I started getting ready, the front office called me. Our master bathroom was flooding our downstairs neighbors.  Maintenance had to come in on their day off to determine what the problem was...I felt so bad.  When I worked, I cherished my days off.  He was awesome about it though.  Our complex is very fortunate to have great maintenance men.

Now, sometime today a plumber has to come in and fix the crack in our toilet. What a messy job. Toilets are the one thing in the entire house, I dread cleaning. Thankfully, we have a second bathroom we can use.

Sunday, Hubby went golfing early and I baked cinnamon rolls. A few weeks ago, we stopped at Panera Bread for some breakfast. I decided on a cinnamon roll...it wasn't very good. I knew I could make so much better. So I did.  Hubby and our friends approved, but you can decide for yourself. :)



Dough Ingredients
5 cups all-purpose flour-plus more for kneading
2 packages active dry yeast or 4-1/2 teaspoons
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vegetable oil

Filling Ingredients
5 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Icing Ingredients
1-1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
2-3 tablespoons hot water

To make dough:
In a stand mixer, mix together 1-3/4 cups flour, yeast, and salt. Set aside.

In a small saucepan, heat milk, water, butter, and sugar over medium heat until it reaches 120-130 degrees F.

Gently pour milk mixture into the flour mixture. Combine until smooth.

Add in the egg and 1 cup flour. Mix for another 2 minutes.

Gradually add in more flour to make soft dough.  I ended up adding only 2 cups. If you think you need more, feel free to add more.

Flour your hands and turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead for 2 minutes.  Form the dough into a disk.

Lightly oil a glass bowl and place the dough inside.  Cover with saran wrap and a towel.  Allow to rise for 20 minutes in a warm area.

In the meantime, combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Melt the butter, and set both aside.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Once the dough has risen, roll it out onto a floured surface.

Roll the dough out into 1/4 inch thick rectangle. Spread the butter over the dough, leaving a 1 inch border around the edges. Sprinkle the cinnamon mixture on top of the butter.

Gently start rolling the dough, jelly roll style. Making sure to keep it tight.

Pinch the seam closed.

With a non-serrated knife, and a gentle sawing motion, cut the log into even disks.  I was able to make 12 cinnamon rolls.

Place rolls on two greased baking sheets.

Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.

In the meantime, combine all the ingredients for the icing. Drizzle over the cinnamons rolls once they come out of the oven.

Enjoy!










No comments:

Post a Comment