Tuesday, April 15, 2014

How to Make Your Own Wax Melts

As I was cleaning our spare bedroom yesterday, I came across candles that still had a little wax in them from when I did my post on DIY Candles.  I didn't want to throw away perfectly good candles that still had a wonderful fragrance. Our wax melt in the bathroom has been in need for new wax and I've been so tired of smelling the same scents. This was the perfect time to save money, and try creating my own. They turned out great! 



Supplies you'll need...
Old candles-- make sure they still have a great fragrance left in them
Butterknife that you don't care about

Directions
Take the entire candle and place it inside of the freezer, for about 10 minutes.

Once the 10 minutes are up, take your butterknife and press it down against the side of the glass to loosen the wax, just like the picture below. 

When you have inserted the knife-all around the glass, carefully insert it into the wax again-against the glass, bend the knife into the wax, and it should pop right out. 


Use the same butterknife and cut the wax into chunks that will fit into your wax melt. Be sure to avoid the wick.


Once you are finished making your wax melts, store them separately in zip-lock baggies, labeled with the fragrance. 

Tips: 
I have found that Glade and Febreze candles worked best when doing this project.  Other brands did work, but it took me a little while longer to get the wax out of the glass jar. 

Cut the wax on a paper plate, or paper towel to avoid getting wax all over your counter. 






2 comments:

  1. Great post! I always wonder what I can do with the leftover wax from candles. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete