Tuesday, April 8, 2014

From the Archives- DIY Canisters

Our bathroom is small! We have absolutely no storage. All we have is a vanity and no linen closet.  Back in Wisconsin when I was a cosmetologist, I collected A LOT of hair products and samples. Half of them are still in a tote stored away in the spare bedroom closet. 
When Hubby and I finally settled in, we went out and bought one of those storage shelves that go over the toilet.  It didn't help much. All it could hold were a few towels and washcloths.  I knew I had to get creative, because bending over to search for the cotton balls, q-tips and everything else we use on a daily basis was getting old..fast. Keeping them out in the open, in their original packages was NOT an option. I have issues with clutter..Hubby calls it OCD..I call it picky. =) 
So, I saved a few salsa and spaghetti jars and turned them into cute canisters for the master and guest bathrooms. 

                                                    

Supplies you will need...
Empty and clean jars (choose different sizes, shapes and designs)
Spray paint (any color)
Decorative Knobs
Nail
Hammer

Directions
In a well ventilated area, spray paint the lid of the jar until it is fully coated.  Don't worry if the lid has a design or lettering on it, the paint will cover it. Let the paint dry overnight.  Once the paint has dried, use the hammer and nail to puncture a hole into the middle of the lid.  Take the knob and slide it through; attach the washer and nut for a secure hold. Fill the jar with whatever you will be using it for and screw the lid back on. 

Tips and tricks: I picked up my knobs from the local Hobby Lobby. They were originally $4, but I got them on sale for 50% off.  If you can't wait for a sale, HobbyLobby.com always, always, always, has a coupon for 40% off one regular priced item.
These canisters are great for craft rooms! They easily hold paint brushes, small spools of ribbon, buttons, etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment