Saturday, April 12, 2014

10 Things Every Woman Should Know How to Do

While living with my dad over the years, then living with Hubby, certain scenarios have come up that have made me say, "What the heck do I do?!" or "How the bleep am I going to fix that?!" Thankfully, I have always had a man around to help me in a sticky situation.
I'll be the first to admit it, I've always depended on a man. Mainly, because they have always been there for me. But someday I don't want to have to rely on one to be there whenever I need help. I want to be able to say, "I fixed that!" Even if it took me over an hour or two to do.

So, as I was sitting here thinking about what I thought every woman should know how to do, I started thinking about what has happened to me personally over the years.  Whether I relied on a man to help, had to suck it up and do it myself, or that I'm still curious about. The list instantly popped into my head.

1. Patch a hole in the wall
My dad has always been the handy-man-fix-it, type of guy.  But, now that he is 2,000 miles away, I, wait I mean (we), may just need to know how to do this in our future home. Especially when I get the sudden urge to do some remodeling!
Here is a great how-to, to help get you started: How to Patch and Repair Drywall by Lowe's

2. Know what to do if there is a gas leak
Thankfully, this has never happened to any home I have lived in. However, it did happen at a company I was working for, during my shift. Your first instinct might be to call 911 but in this situation...
  • Call your energy company's EMERGENCY Line and follow their instructions.

3. Fix the basics around the house, faucet, sink, toilet, etc. 
Another situation where I've always had a man around to fix it. If it's a minor fix, save your money and follow these simple guidelines from DIY Network.

4. Flip your own breaker
This of course had to happen the one time I was home alone when we first moved here. I had no idea what any of the breakers meant, or how to flip them. Thankfully Hubby was just a phone call away and he walked me through it.
Take the time to learn your breakers, and properly label them if they aren't already labeled.

5. Put new furniture together
Is it just me who thinks men love putting things together? When I was living with my dad, I bought a new bookcase for my bedroom from Bed Bath and Beyond. I brought it home, expecting my dad to put it together for me, but he refused and told me to do it myself.  So, I dug through his tool box and found the screw drivers. After what seemed like forever, I found the right ones. With my dad watching me, and itching to take over, I put that bookcase together and hauled it up the stairs.  It was liberating! After that, I wanted to go out and buy more things to put together.  Now, I buy things and Hubby does it all for me. Lucky guy.

6. Self defense
Thankfully, I have never had to defend myself in a dangerous situation.
Here are Self-dense moves every woman should know

7. Jump a car battery
Back in high school my friend and I were about to leave the Target parking lot when we seen a woman trying to get her car started.  She looked so panicked, and had two crying kids in the back seat.  I felt so bad for her and looked at him.  He got out and asked her if she needed help.  Thankfully it was just a dead battery, and he was able to help her. After that I vowed that I would learn how to jump a car battery.  I have yet to learn, but I do have jumper cables in the back of my car!
A step by step guide on How to Jump Start a Car by WikiHow

8. Change a tire
Never in my life have I had to change a tire. That's why I have AAA to help me if I ever get stuck with a flat tire. But, I know there will come a time, where I will need to learn and AAA will not be there to assist me.
A step by step guide on How to Change a Tire by WikiHow

9. Light a charcoal grill...safely
Luckily, I learned this one from experience when I was the Food Director at a Assisted Living facility. It is so much fun! Though, this is one I leave to Hubby since he enjoys it more than I do.
Step by step guide on How to Light a Charcoal Grill by WikiHow 

10. Perform First Aid and CPR
I've known this one for a few years now. I however do need to go back and renew my certificate.
To find where you can take your first First Aid and CPR class and earn your own certificate please visit American Red Cross

No comments:

Post a Comment