Sunday, March 9, 2014

Recycled Magazine Coasters

Yesterday I received more magazines in the mail! When I put them in the basket to read later, they all fell out onto the floor. Clearly, I have magazine addiction. Before I threw them in the recycling, I couldn't pass up the perfect opportunity to make another recycled craft. I went through the magazines and tore out all the pretty pages and created this...

Recycled Magazine Coasters
Supplies
Magazines
Scissors
Patience ;)
Tear out 6 pages (per coaster). Cut off the ragged edge on each page.
Fold each page in half lengthwise. 
Cut each page on the fold you just made, shown in picture one.
Fold each strip in half, as shown in picture two.
Then, fold into thirds, folding the cut edge inward, so they're hidden inside.
Fold the long strip in half, at the center. 
Repeat with each magazine sheet. 
To start weaving, interlock two strips, shown in picture two. 
Add another strip that wraps around the outside of the horizontal bottom strip. 
Repeat, on the vertical side.
Continue weaving and frequently check the other side 
to make sure it looks like the front. 
When you have finished weaving, weave in the ends of the strips,
so they do not emerge.
Trimming them with scissors will also work.

**If you want to prevent your new coasters from getting wet from cold drinks, spray with an acrylic sealer. **






2 comments:

  1. Genius! I'm going to have to try this with some of my old magazines!

    ReplyDelete