Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Pork Ragu With Your Leftover Pork Roast

Earlier this week I posted about mine and Hubby's Valentine's Day dinner. I made (roughly) a 6 pound Pork Roast for us in the slow cooker. I knew 6 pounds was going to be way too much meat for the two of us.  So, once the pork roast was finished cooking I split it right in half, and saved half of the veggies and sauce, storing it in the refrigerator for Pork Ragu later in the week.

Here is how I make my Pork Roast..
I sear all sides of the roast in a very hot pan coated in vegetable oil. I then transfer the roast to a slow cooker that is lined with a bed of vegetables. 
5 red potatoes, chopped
3 celery sticks, chopped
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 cups baby carrots
1 14.5oz can beef broth

Cook the roast on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. 

Here is how I used our leftovers.. 

Pork Ragu over Penne

Ingredients
3 to 4 pound Pork Roast, cook and shredded
2-4 cups vegetables and sauce, mashed
2 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, (drain one of the cans and save liquid of the other)
6oz tomato paste
1 package of penne pasta
Grated parmesan cheese, for garnish

Directions
Pour the vegetables and sauce into a large skillet and mash with a fork over medium heat.  Pour in the tomatoes and liquid of one can.  Transfer the shredded roast into the pan, along with the tomato paste. Allow it to simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes. 

In the meantime, cook the penne pasta according to package directions. 

Once the pasta has finished cooking transfer it to a serving platter and pour the pork ragu over the pasta. Garnish with grated parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment