Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Not Your Ordinary Chicken Pot Pie

There is nothing I enjoy more than a warm homemade dinner and curling up on the couch with my favorite blanket on a cold night; sometimes all at the same time! Since it's the middle of the week, and I do the shopping on Fridays, our fridge is running low on supplies. After a full day of cleaning and laundry, I didn't want to spend the whole evening cooking dinner. Just something easy, and still be left with some for lunch the next day. After searching the pantry and refrigerator, I was coming up with nothing.  I knew Hubby wouldn't want to come home to macaroni and cheese from a blue box, and I didn't want to spend the money to order something in.  So after a little more searching and thinking, I finally found it! Chicken Pot Pie! But it wasn't going to be any ordinary chicken pot pie. You know..the ones your mother and grandmother used to make, with the flaky crust made from scratch and a whole lot of love. I definitely wasn't making that tonight. No way.  So this is what I came up with..


Ingredients 

1 can of Cream of Chicken Soup
1 can of Grands Flaky Layer Biscuits
1-2 cups of Tyson Grilled and Ready Chicken (diced)
1-1/2 cup mixed frozen vegetables
3 tablespoons milk
Salt and pepper to taste
Casserole Dish of your choosing (may need to double the recipe if you have a large casserole dish)

I don't normally cook with Tyson Grilled and Ready Chicken or even have Grands Biscuits in my refrigerator; but Publix had a sale for Buy 1 Get 1 Free the previous week.  I knew I could make something out of it..eventually. 
Feel free to make your own chicken and your own biscuits if you'd like!

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Open the Flaky Layer Biscuits and place on a baking sheet lined with tin foil. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes
.
In a bowl place the Cream of Chicken Soup, cooked diced chicken, frozen vegetables, milk, salt and pepper to taste. Mix together and place inside of greased casserole dish.  Cover with tin foil and bake for 30 minutes.

When the casserole has reached the last 8-10 minutes of baking, take it out of the oven, uncover and place the baked biscuits on top.  If you can't fit all of the biscuits onto the casserole, that's okay. Place the casserole back into the oven, uncovered, and finish cooking.
(If you bake the raw biscuits on top of the casserole and bake all at the same time, you will come up with raw dough on the bottom of the biscuits!  Doing it this way, allows you to have fully baked biscuits and still get them to soak up some of the casserole.)

Take out and allow to cool for a few minutes.
Enjoy! 



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment