Friday, January 17, 2014

Beef Stew

All my creativity in the kitchen was out the door, once we moved here. I started repeating all the recipes I already knew by heart, and dinner time was starting to get boring. Once the shock of living in a strange new city was out of me, I got back to doing what I loved. My sister bought us a brand spankin' new Crock Pot for a wedding gift and I wanted to put it to good use.  After wondering the grocery store aisles for quite sometime for inspiration, I came home and created this. The beef literally falls apart in your mouth, it is that good.
Beef Stew is now one of my favorite go to dinners when I don't feel like spending a lot of time in the kitchen cooking. It's freezer, and crock pot friendly. Your waistline and budget won't kill you. Plus, your family will love it. Can't get much better than that.


Beef Stew

Ingredients
4 large red potatoes, chopped into medium dice
5 carrots, peeled and cut into 1'' rounds
5 celery stalks, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 pound chuck roast or stew meat cut into 1 inch cubes
1 tsp thyme leaves
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 (14.5 ounce) can of low-sodium beef broth
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoon garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Heat a large skillet with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil, brown both sides of the chopped chuck roast or stew meat. (About a minute or two on each side)

In a 6 quart crock pot combine the first 6 ingredients.
(I had not added the beef yet)

In a separate bowl combine the remaining ingredients and stir.  Pour over the beef and vegetables.


Cover and cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 8-10 hours. How easy was that?!
This makes a lot of stew for just two people. I always split it in half once it is done cooking, place it in freezable containers, and store in the freezer until the next time I'm ready for a good hearty stew.

Enjoy!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment